In this role, you will be traveling to schools in Los Angeles County giving short oral health presentations to children in grades PK-5, while distributing consent forms from classroom to classroom. You will also be interacting with teachers, nurses, and other school staff.
Oral Health Educators are asked to visit schools:
1. If the school has low participation - less than 20% of students signed up to receive dental care
2. If the school is new and a visit will create more interest in the program
3. If the school has specifically requested that an Oral Health Educator make a visit to the school
· Daily travel within Los Angeles County – up to 60 miles round trip.
· Available to work Monday-Thursday during school hours (8AM-3PM) and up to 30 hours/week. Occasional evening and weekends for school events (ex: health fairs, back to school nights).
· Professional appearance
· Able to lift 25 pounds
· Valid driver license with reliable transportation
· Background in health care, dental care or education a plus
· Spanish speaking a plus/Associates degree preferred
· Self-directed and organized
· High energy and enthusiastic
· Excellent communication and public speaking skills
· Passionate about oral health and the services our program provides
Big Smiles Offers:
· Unique work experience and flexible scheduling
· $15/hr + possible bonus
· Mileage reimbursement
· Immediate part-time opportunities
Big Smiles is the nation's leading in-school dental program founded almost two decades ago by two moms, who happen to also be dentists. The founders saw a tremendous need among underserved school aged children who did not have easy access to dental care and who often suffered from poor oral hygiene, tooth decay, pain and associated medical problems. Knowing that many parents could not take their children to the dentist due to issues including time off from work and transportation challenges, they sought to bring the care to the need. Today, through its dental partners, Big Smiles provides preventative and restorative care to approximately 500,000 children per year.
Tooth decay is the most common, and preventable disease among children, more common than asthma. In fact, each year, over 51 million school hours are lost due to oral health related issues.
Big Smiles affiliates with state licensed dentists, hygienists and assistants who use state-of-the-art portable equipment to provide all services onsite, directly in the school or in a self-contained mobile dental facility on site at the school. If portable equipment is used, classrooms, auditoriums or other school venues are literally transformed into fully functional dental offices for the day. Our expertise, obtained through years of experience bringing mobile dental care to schools, as well as through our highly qualified staff, enables us to bring exceptional care with minimal disruption to the normal school routine.
Big Smiles is currently active in 20 states and has ongoing strategic partnerships with over 8,000 school districts, including 21 of the 25 largest school districts in the country.
Given the ongoing lack of access for many underserved children across the country, our services are in great demand and we are always looking for caring, compassionate professionals to join our team and play their part in making a difference in the lives of today's underserved children.
Rewarding Work. Competitive Compensation. Big Smiles.
Big Smiles is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.